Mental health is the well-being of a person at a psychological level. It may also be defined as the absence of mental illness. A person who functions at a satisfactory level of emotional, social and psychological stages is said to mentally healthy. It is affected by various factors like cultural differences, subjective assessments, life experiences, family history, etc. There are some yoga asanas for mental health that we’ll discuss here.
These days many people are suffering from mental illness. These may arise due to stress, loneliness, depression, anxiety, relationship, death loved one, suicidal thoughts, grief, addiction, and various mood disorders.
But Yoga is a powerful tool that can help you in improving mood, relieving stress, anxiety. Meditation will also increase your concentration and help you eliminate the signs of depression and insomnia.
So trust because we will help you with some yoga asanas to improve your mental health. Listed here are some of the best Yoga Poses to help you:
Bal asana/ Child’s Pose
It is an easy kneeling pose that stimulates the nervous system and re-energizes your body. Additionally, it also curbs constipation, improves digestion and stretches your thighs and hips too.
1. Get down on your knees, with your back straight.
2. Gradually, bend forward such that your chest touches your thighs and your forehead touches the ground.
3. Straighten your arms beside your body, with palms facing down.
4. Retain for 20-25 seconds.
5. Repeat 10 times.
You May Also Like: The Best Yoga Poses to Fight Knee Pain
Uttanasana/ Standing Forward Bend
Standing Forward Bend is one of the best poses to treat depression. It also keeps anxiety and stress at bay. Moreover, it also reduces the head heaviness, activates inner legs, cures stomach pain, menstrual pain and is also good for the spine and kidneys.
1. Stand straight, with your hands on your hips.
2. Raise your arms and slowly bend your torso while you exhale.
3. Bend fully and bring your hands to the ground next to your feet.
4. Hold for 10-15 seconds.
5. Repeat 5-10 times.
Viparita Karani/ Legs up the wall
This is simple yet an effective pose for alleviating anxiety. It regulates the blood flow and stimulates the nervous system. Also, it relaxes and calms the mind and improves concentration.
1. Lay flat on the floor and place your hands beneath your body and palm facing upwards.
2. Raise your legs and body, while holding your hips and balancing your body on your elbows.
3. Keep your legs at 90 degrees from your torso.
4. Rest arms beside your body.
5. Retain for 10 minutes.
6. Repeat 3-5 times.
Natrajasana/ The Dancer’s Pose
Natrajasana is a back-bending pose derived from classical Indian dance. It is a great pose for boosting mood. This pose relaxes the mind and refreshes you. It is also very good for fighting depression and anxiety.
1. Stand straight on the floor with feet firmly planted on the ground.
2. Bend one of your legs back, using your arm and clasp the ankle.
3. Extend the free hand in front.
4. Maintain for 5-10 minutes and relax.
5. Repeat on each side.
You May Also Like: 10 Yoga Poses to Try for a Flat Stomach
Warrior Pose/ Veerbhadra Asana
Warrior Pose is a standing yoga pose that improves your blood flow and stimulates the nervous system. It enhances the valor, balance, and grace of your body. It also strengthens and burns fat in your arms, thighs, legs and lower back.
1. Stand on a flat surface with your legs apart.
2. Turn your right foot outward and make a 90 degrees angle.
3. Turn left foot inward by 15 degrees.
4. Raise both the arms, with palms facing upward.
5. Bend your right leg and align your knee and ankle.
Diamond Pose/ Vajrasana
The diamond pose is a sitting yoga pose and is done for reflection, growth, and self-confidence. It stretches the back and abdominal muscles and tones them up. It also elongates the spins. Along with that it also relaxes the mind and body and improves concentration.
1. Kneel on the floor or yoga mat.
2. Sit back on your heels such that your hips rest on your heels and thighs on calves.
3. Keep your arms on your knees with palm down.
4. Focus on an unmoving point in the forward direction.
So keep your mind in place with these yoga poses and be away from stress, depression, anxiety, and other mental problems. Stay in the pink of your mental health, because a healthy mind had a healthy body.