If you are looking to detonate calories and lose weight or set lower limbs as you get more shapely legs and hard butt, a spinning class is great. And all this, in a relaxed, energetic environment without monotony, is what offers these fun and diversified classes. It can get even better if you love to ride a bike, but you can not afford it.
So if you’re curious, read this post and learn more about Spinning and the benefits it provides. Lifefitnessbike.com
What is Spinning?
Spinning also known as indoor cycling is an academy class made on a stationary bike, ie a bicycle fixed on the ground. It is an aerobic exercise with constant changes of rhythms that occurs on the guidance of a physical instructor. In it, all the intensities and loads used in classes are indicated by the teacher with simulations of ascent, descent, and plane.
This modality was created by a South African in a fun joking when two friends participated in a race of bicycle of approximately 1,100 km in the United States. Johnathan Goldberg and John Baudhini were roaming the desert on the West Coast when a dog named Spinning chased them in the middle of the night. It was from this race that came, therefore, the Spinning that took the name of the then honored dog.
Currently, this mode that is successful in the academies around the world already has approximately 5 million fans in 80 countries. Johnathan Goldberg cycling and bodybuilder created spinning that was a stationary bike that could present his training scheme as climbs, descents, and intensity to train for cycling events that lasted for eight days like Race Across America, without leaving home and able to spend more time with family.
Spinning worked well and became business in 1989 when he opened his first gym and gave spinning lessons of 40 minutes.
How is Spinning Training?
They are small group lessons on a special exercise bike that last approximately 40 to 45 minutes to the sounds of lively music. Guided by an instructor, the lesson is dynamic, changing the intensities and simulations of paths such as slope, slopes and loads. The classes are not all the same, there are some indoor cycling modalities like:
Intermediate Training or HITT
Strong pedals are interspersed with light pedals, meaning the heart rate increases and suddenly falls. The cool thing about this type of exercise is that even after the end of the class the student continues to burn calories. In addition, the student enhances physical fitness and the cardiorespiratory system.
Directed at low intensity over a longer period of time at the same submaximal velocity, heart rate is constant. It is a quiet class where the student sits on a stationary bike for more time at a moderate steady speed.
It is a class focused on strength training, speed is usually low. However, the load of this type of class is very high simulated many increases during the class. This way the caloric expenditure is very high, even if the heart rate is more constant.
Regarding the frequency of classes, it is an option of the student, it can be done daily. Now if your student is sedentary, the ideal is to start slowly with two to three times a week. Classes should also be interspersed, ie one-day HITT, another day endurance training and so on.
Benefits of Spinning
There are numerous benefits of Spinning, including:
1. Improvement of the cardiorespiratory system: when the practice is constant occurs the increase of the cardiorespiratory resistance, improving its disposition in daily life;
2. Control or loss of body weight: Spinning exercises can eliminate more than 500 calories per class, which is a significant expense contributing to weight loss;
3. Stress is reduced: music, class rhythm and socialization allow the student to entertain and have fun;
4. Muscular Definition: the muscles of the lower limbs are worked, that is, the muscles of the quadriceps, ischiatibialis, and buttocks are highly requested;
5. Low Impact Exercise: Despite the pedals, there is pressure on some joints such as the knee, for example, it may even contribute to improving arthritis and reducing joint pain;
6. It reduces the risk of injury: since it is a low impact exercise, it is also a safer exercise, this type of exercise requires less risk of fractures and injuries than other types of aerobic activities;
7. It does not depend on climatic conditions: other than outdoor activities such as cycling itself, classes can be practiced on rainy, cold days, intense heat, because they are classes inside a room usually heated;
8. For all ages: even classes can be directed by all ages, young, adult and elderly, great for those who enjoy doing physical activities as a family.
Spinning Indoor x Hidrobike
The hydro bike is very similar to spinning, however with the small difference that it is made in water, yes inside a pool. The bike has a distinctive material that does not rust and is made to run on water.
The good thing about this activity is being able to work with lower heart rate percentages for the same speed out of the water. In addition, the aquatic environment reduces eccentric contractions, promoting less muscle pain after exercise.
Both indoor spin and hydro spin are classes around 40 to 50 minutes and with caloric expenditure very close to 400 to 600 calories. While in the spinning only limbs are worked, in the hydro bike work both limbs. This, however, will depend on the instructor and his guidelines.
Hydrobike is an activity that does not cause impacts on the joints. Therefore people with severe joint problems can practice this type of exercise that can also be used for rehabilitation. Both are group lessons to the sound of lively music.
Much has in common the spinning and the hydro bike like, for example:
- They work the cardiorespiratory system;
- Strengthens lower limbs;
- Strengthens the upper limbs;
- Has low impact;
- They can be practiced by all ages.
- The hydro bike still offers:
- Helps in gaining flexibility;
- Improves venous return;
- It has no impact on the joints;
- It is easily accepted by the sedentary.
Difference between Spinning and Traditional Ergometer Bike
The exercise bike is a basic static device of a gym that mimics pedaling, much used for heating, aerobic, beginner and rehabilitation. It has a chronometer that marks the speed and the marches, besides heart rate, mileage and time. Generally, the caloric burn varies around 300 to 400 calories in 60 minutes according to the speed and the plan followed by the student.
Already spinning simulates ascents, descents, varying intensities as if the person were actually riding a bike on the street. Classes are driven with varied loads and speeds guided by an instructor, done in groups.
Spinning is more intense than a regular ergometer, it burns more calories and tones the lower muscles more than using the regular exercise bike. Both contribute to weight loss, although spinning is more efficient, the practice of both is beneficial.
It is worth noting that it is not the difference in the devices that provide the greatest results, but the type of class in each one. It is possible to have the same benefits on a regular exercise bike, provided that training is planned for that purpose.
Nine Tips For Spinning
- Wear cycling shoes or shoes appropriate for exercise;
- Clothing should also be appropriate, such as a cyclist’s shorts;
- Pedal with load, start with light loads and increase with performance;
- Hydrate yourself well, always have a bottle of water in your hands;
- Do not stop pedaling at once, when approaching the end, gradually decreases until stopping;
- Adjust the bike well before class, the seat should be at the level of the anterosuperior iliac crest, the handlebar and the seat should be separated at a distance of approximately one forearm and feet well adjusted on the pedals;
- The handlebar should be higher than the seat;
- The posture should be correct so as not to overload the spine;
- Eat well one hour before exercising.
Start slowly and be sure, if the exercise is constant, you can progress and get great results.
Terminology or Expressions Used in Spinning Classes
I present some expressions very used by spinning instructors, getting familiarized with the expressions will be easier to follow the lesson:
- Cadence: rhythm, usually determined by the music played during the lesson;
- Baseload: A lower load of bike, insert slightly slope on disc;
- Double spin: pedaling twice as fast;
- Rotate: pedaling with maximum speed;
- Footprint 1: hold the middle of the handlebar;
- Footprint 2: hold in the lower part and away from the center of the handlebar;
- Footprint 3: hold on the top of the handlebars, the pedaling occurs on foot;
- Break the spin: lower the level of pedals by half;
- RPM: revolutions per minute, ie the total number of pedals per minute.
Patellar and Spinning Chondromalacia
If you feel a discomfort in the knees, such as throbbing, thrashing you are a serious candidate to have patellar chondromalacia or patellofemoral syndrome. In this case, it is good to seek an orthopedist as soon as possible.
This syndrome is a kind of softening of the cartilage that is located between the femur and the patella. This happens when the patellar bone dislodges and makes a “new course” which causes softening of the cartilage.
It is a syndrome that affects the female audience more. According to studies, the cause is the delay in the recruitment of muscle groups that women present in relation to men, that is, they are physiological factors. For example, when both jump, the impact suffered on women’s joints will be greater, which is more conducive to incorrect movements.
The Q angle of women is higher, it is around 15 ° and men around 12 °. The Q angle is actually the junction of the tendon of the quadriceps of the thigh with the patellar ligament. Generally, angles greater than 20 ° are more common with the patellar syndrome. The female hips are naturally wider than the male ones, which contributes to a greater chance of chondromalacia.
Doing strengthening exercises for knee extensors and flexors help reduce pain. In addition, practicing functional exercises are also great, in addition to helping in muscle balance.
Therefore, the indoor bike at the beginning is not very indicative, in case you like pedaladas, a hydro bike is a good option because water exercises for those who have this syndrome are excellent. Look for a doctor who will indicate the best exercise. If you are cleared for spinning, classes should be directed toward muscle strengthening and not using loads during class until you are ready for it.
Not that spinning causes damage to the knees, but if you already have the problem it is good to avoid this type of exercise a priori.
The Role of the Physical Education Professional in the Classroom
Physical Educator in Spinning Classroom
The role of the teacher is:
- Teach the student how to handle the equipment;
- Guidance on student safety;
- Guide students who must respect their own limits during class;
- The teacher should also require a medical certificate and make the physical assessment of his student before starting the spinning training.
- Observe students’ posture during class;
- Require appropriate clothing and shoes for classes.
What should be the Intensity of the Classroom?
Each student has their own limit and must respect them through heart rate or follow the Borg Scale that directs the level of perceived exertion. However, it is very important that the teacher is aware of how students react during class.
If they are too tired to faint, such as paleness, whitish or purplish lips, The disorder in the circular movements of the pedal, the teacher must interfere and ask the student to stop immediately.
The students’ challenge is personal rather than a contest between them. Spinning can be practiced daily by those who are already at an advanced level, common sense shows us three to four times a week for middlemen. Even for the teacher, it is good to take a break not to occur to physical and mental fatigue and to hinder professional achievement.
Important Accessories for Lessons
- Gel cover for the saddle or padded Bermuda (cycling shorts);
- Hydration Bottle;
- Face towel;
- Cycling shoes or sneakers;
- Cardiac monitor.
- Care and Restrictions with Your Student
Because classes are usually in groups, extra care is needed so that all students have similar pacing and physical fitness. Therefore, teaching the BORG table can be an alternative to prescribe the training more safely;
Orient students before any physical activity that seeks medical prescription, especially if the student has problems in the joints or cardiorespiratory problems, then only with medical prescription;
So that the class does not fall into the monotony, diversify, not only the songs but the modalities of spinning also;
Observe and orient the student if he is projecting the hip back because that is the correct form;
Teach the student to brake the bike and give the instructions for use before starting classes;
Orient the student to use the firm foot to pull the pedal in the ascending phase of the movement;
As this activity is intense and requires much of the cardiorespiratory system and joints of the lower limbs. Cardiac patients, who have already had a pulmonary embolism, hypertensive and with serious problems in the joints should not do the spinning.
Any and all persons of this particular group who wish to take spinning classes should be advised to take the functional evaluations including the stress test cycle ergometer and also make an assessment with a medical specialist. The responsibility for the health of the student not evaluated and without medical certificate is the teacher.
If you love a skinny one, but you can not enjoy it every day, either due to the inappropriate safety of the streets of your city or bad weather, then be sure to try this dynamic and relaxed mode with lots of lively music.
Spinning is an excellent exercise to train cyclists, to stay in good shape, to set, to de-stress, to socialize, in short, there are many advantages and benefits of this physical activity, that such start something new and fun and that will do very well for health and physical well-being?