Benefits of the Sun for our Body

The sun is an indispensable piece for any form of life and, obviously, it is also for us. In Spain, where the light of the star king is very abundant, perhaps we do not value it too much. But in northern European countries they take advantage of every ray of light and it is very common to see people sunbathing in parks and public places at the slightest opportunity. Today, we will expose the benefits of sunbathing, always in moderation and the risks of taking it too much.

Improves mood

Yes, you read it right. It is scientifically proven that the hours of sunshine per year are directly related to the mood of a population. This is because the sun’s rays are necessary to manufacture serotonin, the so-called “happiness particle”, a neurotransmitter responsible for regulating our mood.

Source of Vitamin D

Vitamin D is a very necessary element for the proper functioning of our body. It is responsible for keeping our bones healthy, so it is very important in growth stages. Helps prevent diseases such as osteoporosis or rickets. 90% of this vitamin is obtained through the contact of the sun with our skin. The remaining 10% can be obtained from foods such as cheese, fatty fish and some mushrooms.

But that’s not all, vitamin D helps keep blood pressure at optimal levels because it reduces the levels of parathyroid hormone. In addition, it helps our immune system. T lymphocytes, white blood cells responsible for defending the body, feed on this vitamin.

Regulates the biorhythm

Sunlight is responsible for regulating our circadian rhythms, involved in sleep and mood, among other things. When sunbathing in a moderate way, our body naturally generates melatonin, a hormone that helps to define sleep cycles and proper rest.

Do not forget that you can get  melatonin supplements in our online store.

Improves the health of our skin

Sunbathing in moderation has multiple benefits for our skin. Diseases such as psoriasis improve significantly with exposure to the sun, thanks to the action of ultraviolet rays. These prevent the immune system from attacking healthy skin cells.
Acne is another disorder that can improve a lot in the sun. Of course, choose a good oil-free sunscreen.

How much sun should we take?

According to experts, 7 minutes of sun a day during the summer and 30 minutes 3 times a week during the winter are healthy and recommended. They also recommend having at least 20% of the body uncovered and avoiding the central hours of the day.

Risks of sunbathing excessively

Although the sun is a source of life, it can be very dangerous if we take it too much. It can cause a multitude of problems such as premature aging or skin cancer. Melanoma is the most common type of cancer in our country and, according to several studies, up to 80% could be prevented. And the thing is, melanoma is associated with accumulated burns for the rest of our lives. Young burns can cause many problems in the future if we do not provide the skin with protection.

For this reason, in our online store we have a multitude of sunscreens , of all protection factors. Maybe you think that currently it is not necessary, that it is something of the summer. And yes, but at this time it is also the time of year when it snows the most. Sunlight refracts off snow and can cause burns. Don’t underestimate this!